WTF Community

Who The Fuck Has Sued The Trump Administration

Happy Election Day, good time for updates.

Added: Lawsuit Update (New To Record) (October 31, 2018):

Summer Zervos vs. Donald J. Trump
Concerning: Defamation
Update: Discovery Update

Trump agrees to turn over his calendar in Summer Zervos defamation suit (via Washington Post)

Updated: Lawsuit update (November 2, 2018):

District of Columbia v. Trump
Concerning: Constitution Violations
Update: Motion to Dismiss denied, Discovery to proceed

Trump suffers another defeat in emoluments case over profits he’s collected in office (via Daily Kos)

Added: New Suit To Record (October 12, 2018):

Al Otro Lado v. Nielsen
Update: Amended Complaint filed

These two lawsuits are challenging Trump’s barbaric border policies (via Daily Kos)

Added: New Suit To Record (October 29, 2018):

4 Anonymous Plaintiffs v. Donald J. Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump and Eric Trump, and the Trump Organization
Concerning: Fraud
Update: Lawsuit Filed

Trump Persuaded Struggling People to Invest in Scams, Lawsuit Says (via New York Times)

Current Record Count: 26

Notes:

Thanks for the posts @dragonfly9 - I couldn’t figure out what suit that Blumenthal-Led Lawsuit article is in reference to so I can’t add it to the list (if I don’t already have it). Honestly it’s very frustrating when the Post/NY Times/etc. write about a lawsuit but don’t link to the filing.

Thanks for the post on the fraud case @Keaton_James and many thanks for finding the filing, those are usually a chore to find!

Finally, can I ask how you insert those fancy page links that show the source name and the cover photo?

2 Likes

THanks @Eliwood for all your updates, and attention to keeping the records straight.

And yes - Happy :rofl: or Sad :unamused: Mid Terms…Hard to know now 6:45P PST/9:45P EST

Is this it??? (Googled Blumenthal v Trump) - I did not double check what you already had…

Note: As for getting the Picture/box etc, you just go to the browser’s top line - and copy link - on Mozilla there are three dots I press and it copies the link for me, and then I paste it into the center of this comment area. You need to leave enough space between your writing and your links. And it may be that you are also adding the " marks, which sets the information into a block quote. That may hinder the creation of the link’s box creation etc. Am guessing though.

Here’s another lawsuit - CNN sues Trump over the WH removing CNN reporter Jim Acosta’s WH badge. Suit sues, Donald Trump, Bill Shine, (Comm head) John Kelly, Sarah Sanders to name those who orchestrated the removal of Acosta’s badge.

CNN on Tuesday filed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump and top administration officials demanding that correspondent Jim Acosta’s access to the White House be restored, a dramatic turn in the president’s years-long battle with the press that sets up a court fight over the First Amendment.

“While the suit is specific to CNN and Acosta, this could have happened to anyone,” CNN said in announcing the lawsuit, which asks for a restraining order requiring that Acosta’s security credentials be returned. “If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials.”

3 Likes

Maryland seeks an injunction from the US Government over the appointment of Whitaker, instead of Rod Rosenstein.

Now, Mr. Whitaker’s appointment is facing a court challenge. The State of Maryland asked a federal judge on Tuesday for an injunction declaring that Mr. Whitaker is not the legitimate acting attorney general as a matter of law, and that the position — and all its powers — instead rightfully belongs to the deputy attorney general, Rod J. Rosenstein.

Mr. Trump may not “bypass the constitutional and statutory requirements for appointing someone to that office,” the state said in a court filing.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/486-state-of-maryland-challenge-to/6ef94e5387c778dd921f/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

3 Likes

And this one - from three Senate Judicary members regarding the appointment of Matt Whitaker, as Acting AG.

2 Likes

@ellwood - a whole lot of litigation listed here.

2 Likes

A step in the right direction…barring the question about citizenship on the 2020 census is struck. For now.

Judge bars citizenship question from 2020 Census

NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge in New York has barred the Trump administration from adding a question about citizenship to the 2020 census.

U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman said Tuesday that while such a question would be constitutional, U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross had added it arbitrarily and not followed proper procedure.

The ruling came in a case in which a dozen states or big cities and immigrants’ rights groups argued that adding the question might frighten immigrant households away from participating in the census.

The decision won’t be the final word on the matter.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/judge-bars-citizenship-2020-census-150010751.html

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Oh hey, it’s been a while. I’ve been busy but no less interested by the legal troubles of the administration. I’m currently in the process of updating my records here. I’ll update again once I’m caught up.

3 Likes

and I’m all caught up with the backlog I had! I still want to get updates on everything and those will get posted. I also want to look through that Lawfare article @dragonfly9 posted in November, many thanks for that.

Current Record Count: 41 :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Added: New Suit To Record (June 24, 2019):

FedEx v. Dept. of Commerce
Concerning: Trade Laws

FedEx sues US government over export rules after Huawei shipping problems (via The Verge)

Current Record Count: 42

4 Likes

Added: New Suit To Record (July 2, 2019):

House Ways and Means Committee v the IRS and Treasury Dept.

House Democrats sue Trump administration over president’s tax returns (via The Washington Post)

Current Record Count: 43

5 Likes

Added: New Suit To Record (July 11, 2019):

American Federation of Teachers v Betsy DeVos
Concerning: Loan Forgiveness Programs

American Federation of Teachers sues Betsy DeVos over public service loan forgiveness program (via The Washington Post)

Current Record Count: 44

The ACLU has also prepared a new lawsuit concerning the rescheduled ICE raids:

ACLU sues Trump admin to put brakes on rescheduled ICE raids (via New York Post)

4 Likes

Just looking on CREW - Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington who have filed some lawsuits against the Government.

June 28, 2019

CREW filed an amicus brief supporting the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) and Jason Leopold of Buzzfeed News in their case against DOJ to obtain the full, unredacted Mueller Report through the Freedom of Information Act.

DOJ has argued that Exemption 5, the deliberative process privilege, applies to the Mueller Report. Records redacted under Exemption 5, which only applies to those that are predecisional and deliberative, cannot be accessed through FOIA requests. CREW argues that Special Counsel Robert Mueller submitted his report at the conclusion of his investigation to explain his final decisions, so Exemption 5 does not apply to his report.

Electronic Privacy Information Center Plaintiff Civil Action No. 19-cv-810 (RBW)

v

US Dept of Justice Defendant

Jason Leopold, Buzzfeed Plaintiff Civil Action No. 10-cv-957 (RBW)

v

US Dept of Justice Defendant

@Eliwood look here for more lawsuits (complaints, etc)

4 Likes

Thanks for the information @dragonfly9 - always appreciated! Got a quick update for now.

Updated: Lawsuit update (July 10, 2019):

The State of Maryland and The District of Columbia v Donald J. Trump
Update: Lawsuit Dismissed By Appeals Court

Appeals court dismisses emoluments lawsuit involving Trump’s D.C. hotel (via The Washington Post)

Current Record Count: 44

4 Likes

Former FBI Deputy Assistant Director Peter Strzok on Tuesday filed a lawsuit against the Justice Department and the FBI for violating his First Amendment rights by firing him after discovering 2016 texts in which he “expressed his political opinions” about then-candidate Donald Trump.

Why it matters: Strzok led the FBI’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and later worked for special counsel Robert Mueller, before being transferred and later terminated after the discovery of thousands of personal text messages exchanged with FBI lawyer Lisa Page. Strzok has been the target of attacks from conservatives and Trump allies who believe the Russia probe was politically motivated and part of a conspiracy to undermine the Trump presidency.

• Strzok’s attorney said in a statement: “The lawsuit shows that, in bowing to the president’s desires, FBI leaders trampled Pete’s free speech and due process rights in ways that should be deeply troubling to all in government, and indeed, to all Americans. Today, Pete Strzok is fighting back, and sending a message that the Administration’s purposeful disregard for constitutional rights must not be tolerated.”

Details: The lawsuit claims that there has been no assertion that Strzok’s speech violated the Hatch Act, and that even if it had, the government “cannot practice viewpoint discrimination in deciding what political speech by government employees to allow and what political speech to punish.”

• It goes on to claim that the Trump administration “has consistently tolerated and even encouraged partisan political speech by federal employees, as long as this speech praises President Trump and attacks his political adversaries” — specifically pointing to White House counselor Kellyanne Conway’s Hatch Act violations as an example.
  • In addition to violating Strzok’s First Amendment, the lawsuit alleges that the firing violated his right to due process. It claims the FBI’s decision to fire Strzok was the result of “unrelenting pressure from President Trump and his political allies,” and that it did not “abide by the final decision of Assistant Director [Candice] Will to suspend and demote, rather than fire” him.
  • Strzok also alleges that he was denied the right to appeal his firing. The lawsuit requests that he be compensated with back pay and reinstatement to his old job.

Link has lawsuit inside

Read the lawsuit:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Not sure if this has been posted…but

Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe has sued the Trump administration for what he calls his “unlawful” termination, arguing that his firing last year was the result of improper political interference by the president.

“It was Trump’s unconstitutional plan and scheme to discredit and remove DOJ and FBI employees who were deemed to be his partisan opponents because they were not politically loyal to him,” the complaint alleges.

3 Likes

Cross posting

3 Likes