WTF Community

Congressional Committee Investigations into Trump 2019

house-committees
tax-returns
russia
trump
conflicts-of-interest

Congressional Committee Investigations into Trump

At least fourteen Democratic-led House Committees have opened investigations into the Trump administration. Here’a quick break down of the top committees investigating the President, his businesses, campaign and his administration. Help me maintain this, comment below and I’ll update above or help me edit using the wiki feature.

General Congressional News:

Judiciary Committee

Investigating: Oversight of the administration’s family separation policy, Former acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker’s appointment, his involvement in the Mueller investigation, and his conversations with Trump and involvement with World Patent Marketing, Voting rights and Department of Justice actions on voter ID, census cases, Easing of sanctions on companies linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, Trump’s national emergency declaration, The president’s “threats to the rule of law,” covering three main areas: Obstruction of justice, including the possibility of interference by Trump and others in a number of criminal investigations and other official proceedings, as well as the alleged cover-up of violations of the law; Public corruption, including potential violations of the Emoluments Clause of the U.S. Constitution, conspiracy to violate federal campaign and financial reporting laws, and other criminal misuses of official positions for personal gain; Abuses of power, including attacks on the press, the judiciary, and law enforcement agencies; misuse of the pardon power and other presidential authorities; and attempts to misuse the power of the office of the presidency. Trump’s interference in Time Warner merger, Threats to relocate migrants to sanctuary cities, Reports that the president said he would pardon acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan if he illegally closed the southern border to migrants, Firings of senior leadership at DHS, The administration’s decision to stop defending the Affordable Care Act in court.

Chairman: Representative Jerrold Nadler of New York

News:

Documents:

Public Hearings:

Markups:

Full House Session:

Oversight And Reform Committee

Investigating: Oversight of the Trump administration’s family separation policy, Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker’s involvement with World Patent Marketing, Reports that the Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman was failing failing to carry out statutory duties to help those applying for legal immigration programs, White House security clearances, Inclusion of a citizenship question on the 2020 census, Easing of sanctions on companies linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, Delayed back pay for federal workers impacted by the government shutdown, Michael Cohen hush-money payments, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ efforts to replace her agency’s acting inspector general, Transfer of nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia, Child separation actions at DOJ, DHS and Health and Human Services, Communications between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Trump, Michael Cohen’s claims that Trump was improperly inflating financial statements, Interior Secretary David Bernhardt’s schedules, Trump’s threats to relocate migrants to sanctuary cities, Use of private email accounts by Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump and other White House officials, and use of messaging apps like WhatsApp, Gag orders on White House staff, Title X gag rule regulatory review process, Potential lobbying conflicts of interest involving Environmental Protection Agency head Andrew Wheeler, Interior Department’s handling of FOIA requests, Abandoning plan to move FBI HQ building from Washington to suburban location, Firings of senior leadership at DHS, Trump Administration’s response to hurricanes in Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands, Trump Administration’s decision to stop defending ACA.

Chairman: Representative Elijah E. Cummings of Maryland

News:

Documents:

Public Hearings:

Intelligence Committee

Investigating: Russia investigation, including the scope and scale of the Russian government’s operations to influence the U.S. political process, and the U.S. government’s response, the extent of any links and/or coordination between the Russian government, or related foreign actors, and individuals associated with Trump’s campaign, transition, administration or business interests, whether any foreign actor has sought to compromise or holds leverage, financial or otherwise, over Trump, his family, his business, or his associates; whether Trump, his family, or his associates are or were at any time at heightened risk of, or vulnerable to, foreign exploitation; and whether any actors — foreign or domestic — sought or are seeking to impede, obstruct, and/or mislead authorized investigations into these matters, Whether lawyers for Trump and his family obstructed committee’s Russia probe, Trump’s personal finances, including loans from Deutsche Bank, Use of intelligence to justify building a wall at the southern

Chairman: Representative Adam B. Schiff of California

News:

Documents:

Public Hearings:

Ways And Means Committee

Investigating: Easing of sanctions on companies linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, Trump administration’s use of user fees generated by the Affordable Care Act, Rule on short-term insurance plans, Trump administration’s decision to stop defending ACA, The president’s personal and business tax returns.

Chairman: Representative Richard E. Neal of Massachusetts

News:

Documents:

Foreign Affairs, Oversight, And Intelligence

Investigating: Trump’s meetings with Vladimir Putin, Communications between Putin and Trump, Trump administration’s failure to produce Russian sanctions report.

Chairman: Representative Eliot L. Engel of New York

News:

Documents:

Financial Services Committee

Investigating: Easing of sanctions on companies linked to Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, Trump’s personal finances, including loans from Deutsche Bank, Trump administration’s failure to produce Russian sanctions report, Reported ransom demand from North Korean government related to Otto Warmbier.

Chairman: Representative Maxine Waters of California

News:

Documents:

Public Hearings:

Other Related House and Senate Committees

News:

Public Hearings:

Documents:

This header was last updated 06/15/19, breaking news starts here.

Awesome resource! :trophy:

We’ll need something like this to keep track of the myriad of House investigations, especially as documents and testimony surface that spawn yet more investigations. We’re just a few days away from Felix Sater’s testimony.

My favorite phrase from the headlines above that encapsulates what we’ve been witnessing in this Administration for the past two years: “[An] Expansive Pattern of Lies and Criminality.”

Thanks @Keaton_James It was time for this thread. I’ve made this post editable for to the entire forum, please help me up date as needed. Just follow the format for readability. Do you think I should add dates to each headline?

I want add reported closed door testimony stories and a documents section to each committee as well. Might as well make robust. :smiley_cat:

Hi @Pet_Proletariat. As I find articles that pertain to House investigations (e.g., new investigations, hearing dates, announcements by the committee heads, analysis, etc.), I’ll add them as a post in this thread – similar to the way the “Who The F Has Left The Trump Administration” and the “All Things Mueller” threads have evolved. Does that sound good to you?

Sounds good. I’ll organize. I want to see if a wiki style header is obtainable through this format for quick reference. Sometimes I can’t find all the incredible stories y’all post. :smile:

All the chairs

Sater will not testify publicly this week.

Sater, 53, will testify before a closed-door session of the House Judiciary Committee. He was also scheduled to appear publicly before the Intelligence Committee on Wednesday, but the hearing was postponed on Monday. A central focus of his testimony is expected to be Trump’s longtime effort to build a Moscow tower. The president’s former personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, has previously said Trump sought to build in Moscow through the entire 2016 presidential campaign.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-25/sater-eyed-trump-moscow-tower-to-launder-money-kazakh-bank-says

The House Judiciary Committee backed a Republican effort to look into claims that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein considered secretly recording President Donald Trump and raised the possibility of ousting him.

The Democratic-led panel voted 22-0 Tuesday to advance a resolution for a vote by the full House that would request Justice Department and FBI memos that are said to describe internal discussions in 2017 to surreptitiously record Trump and invoke the Constitution’s 25th Amendment to remove him from office.

If approved by the House, the resolution would amount to a formal request for the records, to be delivered within 14 days.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-03-26/documents-on-rosenstein-s-trump-comments-sought-by-house-panel

Full House approval would give Barr 14 days to comply with the demand for all records and communications concerning FBI investigations of Trump, as well any discussions within the Justice Department about secretly recording the president or seeking to replace him by invoking the 25th amendment to the U.S. Constitution. That amendment provides the procedures for replacing the president or vice president in the event of death, removal, resignation, or incapacitation.

Lawmakers are looking specifically at obstruction of justice and counterintelligence probes that former FBI Director Andrew McCabe says he launched after Trump fired his predecessor, James Comey, in May 2017.

Nadler is going subpoena the full report.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler, the committee chairman, said Monday he’s moving ahead with plans to press for the nearly 400-page Mueller report via subpoena despite written assurances from Attorney General William Barr that he plans to release the document by mid-April or sooner.

New Letter from Congress to Barr, requesting everything, including all the underlying evidence and Barr’s testimony.

Read the letter :point_down:

The House Oversight and Reform Committee on Tuesday voted to authorize three subpoenas as part of Democrats’ increasingly aggressive investigations into the White House security clearance process and the Trump administration’s efforts to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

In a party-line vote, the committee authorized Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) to issue a subpoena for former White House Personnel Security Director Carl Kline to testify before the panel about his role in approving security clearances. The panel also authorized subpoenas for documents from Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross related to the 2020 census.

The House Judiciary Committee authorized its chairman on Wednesday to use a subpoena to try to force the Justice Department to give Congress a full copy of Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s report and all of the underlying evidence used to reach his conclusions.

The chairman, Representative Jerrold Nadler of New York, said he would not immediately issue the subpoena. But the party-line vote won by Democrats who control the committee ratchets up pressure on Attorney General William P. Barr as he decides how much of the nearly 400-page report to share with lawmakers.

“I will give him time to change his mind,” Mr. Nadler said in his opening statement. “But if we cannot reach an accommodation, then we will have no choice but to issue subpoenas for these materials.”

The committee also approved subpoenas for five former White House aides who Democrats said were relevant to an ongoing investigation into possible obstruction of justice, abuse of power and corruption within the Trump administration.

From @Keaton_James

@Pet_Proletariat Thanks for the cross-link. I should have posted this here in the first place! :blush:

No worries, I got ya :wink:

(Matt Kiser) #17

I love this thread. Is the main post being updated like a wiki?

@Matt I opened it as a wiki, will update the main post when I have time. If anyone wants to help, have at it, just :heavy_check_mark: any posts you’ve logged in the emoji box.

:boom::boom::boom:

The chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, using a little-known provision in the federal tax code, formally requested on Wednesday that the I.R.S. hand over six years of President Trump’s personal and business tax returns, starting what is likely to be a momentous fight with his administration.

Representative Richard E. Neal, Democrat of Massachusetts, hand-delivered a two-page letter laying out the request to Charles P. Rettig, the Internal Revenue Service commissioner, ending months of speculation about when he would do so and almost certainly prompting a legal challenge from the Trump administration.

[ Read Mr. Neal’s letter to the I.R.S. commissioner .]

The move came as other panels controlled by House Democrats were flexing their muscles. The House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday morning authorized its chairman to use a subpoena to try to force the Justice Department to give Congress a full copy of the special counsel’s report and all of the underlying evidence used to reach his conclusions on Russian interference in the 2016 election.

And the chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee said that he would soon ask for a vote on a subpoena of his own to compel Mazars USA, an accounting firm tied to the president, to produce a decade’s worth of Mr. Trump’s financial records.

I can help…but I do not have a clue what you are talking about technically. You can PM me. :grin: