WTF Community

Introduce Yourself!

Hi. My name is Lisa. I have been reading your newsletter since day one and love it. I share your web link with everyone I know!!! I am Fly Fishing Guide and Fly Tyer by day and a News Junkie by night :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @lnshep :clinking_glasses: I just got back from spending the evening by the river, I don’t fly fish but I wish I did, it looks so flow, need more of that in my life lol

3 Likes

I’m Sherri, an international teacher currently in Singapore. I have been following this president with increasing levels of shock and chagrin for the past year and was delighted to find WTFJHT. This is a great idea. I look forward to talking to you all.

3 Likes

:wave: Welcome @spriestman!

2 Likes

I can definitely identify with Democratic Party involvement. I have always voted, but now I and many in our Indivisible group are quite active. I wrote the mission statement for our Ind. group and political activism is front and center rooted in the firm belief that ‘we are the change that we seek’. So, our county democratic party saw a huge influx of ‘indivisibles’ beginning in January, 2017.

Trying not to be really critical, but I see lack of organization and focus in the local Dem. group other than getting our candidates elected. Just came home from women’s meeting and the discussion was mainly concerned with whether or not to put up a bill board…discouraging to me given the fact that there is so much more to be done. Am I being petty? Also, I was given a card with an extremely broad, generic mission of the party. Not sure where to begin, but I may start with a serious attempt at making that mission/party statement better. Any suggestions welcome.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s petty at all; it’s a significant hurdle. This past year was such a mess, and I don’t feel like “be better than those guys” is enough anymore. Maybe it used to be, but that time is gone. I really hope the party figures that out before the 2018 Primaries or we’re all going further down the darkest timeline.

A billboard may or may not be inspirational to your locals, but people who don’t necessarily want to see “activism” and wherever they think that will lead the group will bury you under paperwork until you go away.

I lead an Indivisible group, as well! (Well, our group is more a group of groups…) I wish I could do it full-time!

I see the same too. While, the DCCC seems to be getting up and moving a bit more in So Cal due to the resurgence of Dem support in the OC (which went blue for the first time since the Great Depression in 2016), there are still 4 Republicans Reps. They are (finally) opening a So Cal Office. Thankfully, Ted Lieu is the Western Vice Chair for the DCCC - he has embraced the grassroots activism and organizing. There’s still a lot of disorganization and ‘in-fighting’…especially in California.

1 Like

Not petty at all – which is to say we’ve got similar challenges where I live. One problem (which isn’t unique to Democrats, or political groups in general) is that meetings become an end in themselves, rather than a way to accomplish something. Whereupon they attract people who love going to meetings, or love complaining about all the meetings they have to go to, or both. I’m on the fringe of the local Indivisible group (which is small) and also involved with a larger, multi-faceted civic engagement group that coalesced after the election and has accomplished some good things since. There’s considerable overlap in membership among them and the local Dems. So it’s OK with me if the local Dems focus primarily on electoral politics, e.g., by getting candidates and Dem officeholders to speak at meetings. Some of us are working on connecting with the statewide Emerge group, which trains women to run for office, manage campaigns, etc. That’s part of “electoral politics” as far as I’m concerned! (I’m in MA, btw.)

It’s hard. In my experience, local Democrat organizations feel like they are being attacked by grassroots activists. A lot of local Democrat groups have probably existed for years as the same small group of people, and now you are putting that in flux. Just be patient, the good ones will come around, and the bad ones will hopefully get out of the way.

I’m Ryan. I work in FinTech. I’m a pro-globalist Urban Jew, so I’m naturally terrified right now. Thanks for putting this project together, I’m proud to be a supporter on Patreon.

4 Likes

Being Jewish does not come with good feels right now, I would have to say.

2 Likes

Hi, I am Catherine and I live in Seattle where I am raising four incredible humans to be kind, loving, curious and accepting. I also work at a giant coffee company that is based here, where I focus on all things…tea!

I have been a WTFJHT follower on FB from the beginning, but only just saw there is a forum. WTF have I been? Glad to be here now and be part of the conversation.

Not sure that words can really describe how I am feeling this week. Sad. In shock. Not sleeping. Concerned about the normalization of this racist and hateful rhetoric and behavior. Worried that things could escalate to a civil war. Energized to be part of the conversation and the solution. Living wth kindness and cultivating curiosity. It’s in our power to find for ourselves a deep understanding our of individual and shared humanity and help others do the same.

Catherine

Seattle represent. :raised_hands:

1 Like

Queer autistic trans activist, fighting for the autistic community…used to be fighting anti-vaxxers who considered us broken, one of them became president and the system has become increasingly dangerous to disabled people so my activism has become much more political, and this has been very useful to keep abreast of the events occurring in the country.
My profile pic is an angry fist rising from a broken heart because that’s pretty much where I’m at, it’s also the logo for my blog where I speak about minority issues/activism in the Trump era The Outcast Post
Why aren’t you upset?, my latest article, is my response to the people who focus on only happy things instead of fighting against injustice, which doesn’t exactly fit anybody here because…we’re not avoiding anything no matter how hellish this is getting.

@matt could I share my articles as I write them? I know it says no self-promoting but they’re relevant to this era and provide a lens to communities which aren’t extremely heard though we’re disproportionately affected.

2 Likes

My Facebook page is An Articulate Autistic, it’s where I do shorter posts on similar topics.

Hello. Type here
I live in rural south central Utah.
Surrounded by Trump supporters.
I am a sucker for punishment.
I am a political junkie.
I am an active troublemaker.
I read a lot.

4 Likes

I’m Sally. My first blog post the day after the election was “WTF Just Happened?” Hence I chuckled at the evolution of this newsletter.
In the past eight months, I emailed, petitioned, donated, tweeted, blogged, commented on FB posts, but I feel like I’m p*ssing in the wind. I read a constant stream of articles from credible sources that are damning, and evidence mounts by the minute that tRump is an incompetent, unstable liar. Glaciers are melting faster than the Mueller investigation. I am scared to death. What is it going to take to bring him down and exposed him and his cohorts for the conspirators they are?

2 Likes

Watergate took over 2 years. Strap yourself in, it’ll be awhile. It just feels slow because we are in the digital age.

Also, welcome!

1 Like

So, I’m 63, mother of three, grandmother of four, a retired public library book nerd, living in the Northwest (Hello from Blue WA!) and pretty much terrified and disgusted by narcissistic sociopath Trump.

It’s exhausting keeping up with 45’s crazy shenanigans. I’m bone-weary imagining what the future will look like for my grandbabies. Staying engaged, informed, and actively involved is so important for all of us right now. I’m thrilled you’ve created WTFJHT. You cut-to-the-chase and recap exactly what’s important for folks to know. Matt, thankyouthankyouthankyou…

5 Likes

Hey, I’m Diana. Glad to be here. WTFJHT has been the high/low point of my day for the past several months.

3 Likes