WTF Community

Introduce Yourself!

I got one question for you: Roll Tide or War Eagle?

1 Like

Holy Sheet! Neither! Rocky Top will always be home sweet home for me! Go Big Orange!

1 Like

Thank you @MissJava! What has been forgotten about the Apollo Program is just how much coffee was consumed by the engineers, scientists, technicians, astronauts, etc., while meeting President Kennedy’s goal of landing men on the moon and returning them safely to the earth by the end of the decade. Hundreds of thousands of gallons of coffee fueled humanity’s first visit to another world.

1 Like

Oops, I didn’t realize I was replying to your post. Sorry :smiley:

I spent my teenage years obsessed with the space race, and while I always loved math/science, my current career in STEM is 100% influenced by the fact that “space is cool”, thanks to the legacy of the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo programs.

There are some amazing technological breakthroughs happening right now, but them being driven almost exclusively by the private sector means that a lot of this is walled off from most of America, except, in some cases, as a consumer product. I fully believe that this spirit of innovation is still going strong in America, but there just aren’t enough approachable ways for most people to become a part of it.

2 Likes

Roll Tide, only due to friends who have convinced me of their super powers :football:

1 Like

That question always leaves me somewhat stumped. I’m a product of the nature/nurture of my childhood. Luckily i was in Florida and saw John Glenn blast up into the atmosphere, had no TV but a vast library. Now, just into my 60’s I lurk the internet which my son’s, now in their 30’s, clued me in on but very, very rarely participate.
My education spans decades but have degrees in business and history which led to to own my own consulting business. My clients were non profits in the building profession across the board with methods and materials my speciality. Currently volunteering “wink” “wink” due to our government’s need for control in a law office with my daughter and her fiance.
Politically raised by individual’s who believed in social democracy, plus my dad was one of the original board members/Architects for GM’s Futurama for the 39 World’s Fair, along with Norman bel Geddes. Actually used some of these primary source documents for a paper I wrote.
Raised outside of NYC, lived in ATL, FL (Miami and Cocoa Beach, NYC, Philly and finally ended up in VT in the late 70’s. Worked and owned, short 1st marriage and child, a dairy farm which truly humbled me.
Guess throughout my life I’ve explored what’s interested me, faced some truly catastrophic shit and continue to have the belief we will survive even this complete FUBAR.
Thankfully this site provides proof that people do care and after reading about other members, feel I’m in great company.
Could add a bunch of appropriate emoji’s but my granddaughter, 9, the one who knows how to change my Netflix image much better at this than I. Maybe get her to put one next to my name :upside_down_face:
Writing this on my phone not particularly easy either:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Hi there, I’m Erica of the world-famous ericaetelson.com:wink: I’m a writer, resister, and clean energy and climate activist. My latest passion is organizing workshops on how to use Powerful Non-Defensive Communication to talk to Trump/swing voters without running screaming from the room. I’d like to connect and collaborate with resisters across the country who believe that, if you don’t like the news, make your own news.

7 Likes

By way of introduction, I immigrated from Cuba a long, long time ago, and am now retired. I follow political events through several news services and I like WTF summary of current events. I became interested in politics with the advent of Obama when I switched from Republican to Democrat. I joined the WTF Community in the hope that it may provide an opportunity to exchange views on what appears to be a significant and perhaps even ominous threat to our wsy of life.

1 Like

What is fascinating to me is seeing how the public (NASA)/private (contractors) partnership was so strong during Mercury, Gemini and Apollo. Most of the people working on these programs were contractors. Marshall started off doing in-house work on the Redstone but quickly realized they couldn’t meet the demand on their own. They partnered with the Chrysler Corporation to build Redstone missiles. The difference now is NASA is laying out their needs and allowing these private companies come up with novel solutions rather than dictating the design and build of the boosters and capsules. NASA is still tasked with sharing the knowledge and technology they develop. So the spirit of innovation is still strong even if it is not widely known by the general public.

1 Like

Considering how SEC Football is a secular religion in these here parts, the question made perfect sense.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome, MissJava! And, I agree, space historian is a great username :wink:
Also, hello to cornelia, too!

1 Like

Hello everyone, just a brief one. I have a resistance conference call coming up in a few. I am retired to North Carolina and loving it here. Originally from OH, a teacher/counselor in WV, lived most of my life in KY. I am a ‘wanna be’ author, love to read, swim and just enjoy life with my 3 pups.
Then came the election in November, 2016. Life has been bustling ever since. I lead a group of Indivisibles in Leland, NC. I have become a full-time resistor, and active in local politics. Life is never boring.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I will be reading your posts later and look forward to interesting conversations! I love Matt and have followed him for a long time now.
p.s. Matt I want to get a t-shirt, but just have to have either a scoop-neck or v-neck :joy:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @EricaEtelson @cachi @Kimberly :clinking_glasses: A spot to make some good news of our own for sure lol​:muscle:t2:

2 Likes

After years of voting Democratic (like for a lesbian feminist there was a choice?) I finally registered as a Dem at the end of January. In mid-February I became secretary of my local Dem club. (Long story.) In June I was a delegate to my state’s Democratic convention. I’d love to say that my meteoric rise was made possible by my charisma and impeccable qualifications, but mostly it was due to lack of opposition. (I am, however, pretty well qualified for the job.) Still trying to figure out what I can do to help dig us out of the mess we’re in.

4 Likes

Excellent! Welcome to the group @Hagwind ! :blush:

1 Like

Hey! I’m Frank. I’m a native San Franciscan. My partner and I will be celebrating our 23rd anniversary on November 4th. I’m in the banking and finance industry, in a job I’ve come to hate more and more and with a company I used to love, until our last merger with another financial institution.

I’ve been volunteering with and serving on local and national non-profit Boards with a focus on advancing and securing equal rights for LGBT Americans and families, and with our church (Episcopalian). Most recently I served on Hillary’s National Finance Committee.

Really enjoying this site for a one-stop shop for all the latest things the POSOTUS is up to. I

6 Likes

Guten Tag! I’m Margaux, an American science journalist, amateur DJ and recovering biologist. I moved to Germany a little over a year ago for a lab writing gig – before that, Boston for grad school – and I haven’t been in the US since last October :grimacing: I eagerly await this newsletter at midnight my time. (I gotta say, it makes for some weird dreams sometimes… Totally worth it!)

HMU on Twitter and 8tracks. Would be cool to connect with other expats that want to bridge the gap between science and society, as well as figure out WTF we can do to help from all the way out here.

5 Likes

I’m Sue, a newly engaged and enraged (since November) voter and sometimes blogger. I’ve been marching and consuming news, and have created a small group on FB to support each other as we’ve been submerged in the sewage.

I live in the metro DC area. Many of my neighbors and friends work in the federal government. For us this is local news. WTFJHT was recommended by a neighbor and gives me some hope on those really explosive days that we can continue - a shitstorm is accompanied by something good for the resistance on most days. This is rough stuff. I was very young but remember Nixon and his take down. That seems almost quaint now.

4 Likes

:wave:t3: Welcome @finnime, @ferrous and @Frank!

3 Likes