WTF Community

Introduce Yourself!

Hi, I’m Barb! I’m a film/TV editor in Los Angeles. If you have any videos you need edited, let me know! Or if you need something shot and edited, I certainly know people with equipment. I’ve been following WTFJH since almost the beginning (started saving the newsletters on Day 24, according to gmail). I even signed my alt-right father up, since he gave me his email log in, though from his gross twitter posts I assume he hasn’t read any of them. I’m glad you started this community, as sad as I am that it’s necessary at all!

3 Likes

Hi folks! I’m Rachel Warino - I work on the communications team at the California Labor Federation (and am a union member of Pacific Media Workers/Newspaper Guild/CWA). Most of my work is managing our digital strategy, social media pages, websites, blogs, etc (including www.canttrumpcalifornia.com). WTFJHT is so helpful for me to track current events and prioritize.

Here to share and meet other folks in the labor/social justice movements, especially in California. A group of young workers recently took over a Festival held annually to celebrate labor art and heritage. We’re looking to bring lots of young artists and activists into the fold. The theme for our festival this year is Art in the Age of the Resistance. Planned for Sat Sept 16th in Berkeley at the Ed Roberts Campus.

If you know of local artists/activists/groups who would be interested in participating, let me know :smiley:

In solidarity,

Rachel

3 Likes

I’m Elizabeth. I’m a resister from Colorado. :heart: your daily synopsis.

1 Like

I’m Lara. I live in Durham, NC, and work at a small educational nonprofit in Chapel Hill associated with my alma mater, UNC. We provide executive education for the DoD and private sector managers and execs in the defense industry. I enjoy the job but hate that I’m part of the military industrial complex. Speaking of which, I’m also an Air Force veteran.

Politics is my passionate hobby for which I have nothing to show. But you can find me and my progressive politicking on Twitter @LaraTaylor23. Also cool to see @Cooties who I’ve known online for like a decade. <3

2 Likes

:wave: Hey, welcome @Lara, @EAKman, @rachelwarino, @barbsteele!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Dar. I’m up here in Canada living with an American who is going ballistic about what is going on. We are both old enough to remember the protest for Vietnam, Watergate etc. I love your country, and have so many dear friends who live there. I am in the unique position of having interviewed Trump - twice - although it was in his capacity as “The Greatest Reality Television Star in NBC History!” Seriously. I had to talk to him and play his stupid power games. I can not believe he is in the White House. (As opposed to the nut house.) I started following WTFJH fairly early because I really appreciated a synopsis of stuff I may have missed in the miasma of chaos Trump generates. I can’t hang on twitter moment by moment - that’s my partner’s job and she has the hypertension to prove it! I’m an alpaca farmer, retired nurse and TV journalist. But mostly, I’m worried sick and very anxious about the Trump dilemma. Why? Our former Prime Minister Trudeau (father to the current one) once said (paraphrasing) “Canada being next to the US is like a mouse sleeping next to an elephant - when the elephant gets restless the mouse gets very nervous.” Great to meet you all.

3 Likes

Hi everyone. I am a 71 year old white man living in Georgia. So I guess I should have fallen off the right wing of every flight I have ever been on. But since I believe in "Truth Justice and the American Way’, I am a degenerate progressive.

4 Likes

Hi I’m from Colorado - trying to help make the state more Blue. I rarely watch news due to anxiety and instead read these emails - better health for me.

2 Likes

Hello, Peter Miesler here, though I usually go by citizenschallenge on the internet. I feel a little foolish only now discovering WTFJHT, but I’ve got a crowded life and actually don’t follow trump too closely, very bad for the blood pressure don’t you know.

I have always felt we need a one stop collection tracking trump atrocities - glad I finally found one. Matt, what you’ve organized here is very impressive - sorry financially I’m a poor boy so five a month is the best I can do, but gladly do so and hope many others are doing likewise, you need to follow through on this to the ugly end.

By way of introduction my main political passion is debating climate science contrarians and defending the integrity and inherent soundness of climate science and the experts general ‘consensus’ on global warming, though the full spectrum of topics interest me. I have a couple blogs, in particular http://whatsupwiththatwatts.blogspot.com. I look forward to following this interesting website. Best of luck Matt.

3 Likes

Oh and I’m from Colorado also. Far from the maddening crowds.

Oh hey - I know you!!! Really good to see you on here. Welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi - I’m Lucy from South Jersey but currently spending the summer in Maine. I love your website and really look forward to reading it!! Thanks for being there!

Hey y’all, I’m NJ from Illinois, although I’ve been hiding in Canada for 40 years now. The day after the election, I cancelled all my news stations and alerts - I just couldn’t watch. Thanks to WTFJHT I’m peeking over the parapet daily now. Retired, lazy, angry, and loving the grandbundles of joy. Thank you for keeping me sane, @matt. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mary here from the western suburbs of Chicago. Thanks @matt for putting together WTFJHT - I love, love, love my daily email. Makes it easy to shake my head in wonder all at once!!! I am a Physician Assistant working with geriatric homebound patients (yes, house calls!!), have 2 children. In my spare time I am involved with my local League of Women Voters and several local resistance groups, love to read, exercise, golf, and go to the great beaches of Lake Michigan. So glad to join this forum.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Jean. Been reading WTF for many months now, as a way to keep up with what’s going on without losing hours (and my mind) making sense of all the chaos. I’m a professor of English, film, and gender studies at a big state university, and wonder how my students are going to make their way in a world so badly governed. I rely on a brilliant and beloved local activist in Providence for directives about what she calls “neighborly” things to do (which usually involves regular visits to the RI State House, or letter-writing and phone calls, etc), and look for ways to make at least our immediate world a livable place, working out from there to the national and the global. My partner (she’s also a professor) and I spend summers “Downeast” (Maine) and the rest of the year in RI, teaching, writing, thinking, cycling, and in general, trying to connect with others who help us to keep an even keel while scheming ways to change the course of events. We read Matt’s compendium of the day’s absurdities out to each other on a daily basis–in the car, walking by the lake, before we go to bed… Makes us feel like we are part of a world within a world that offers hope, or when the going gets really rough, then at least the knowledge that we are not alone as the planet goes “to hell in a handbasket,” as my dad used to say.

1 Like

Welcome, and thanks for joining @ darling, @divy55, @MD3, @citizenschallenge, @LKuder, @njb @maresdl, @ShirleyJay :clinking_glasses:

3 Likes

Live in Vermont and this site reflects what I ask myself countless times every day.
Raised three children, now all on their own. Understand catastrophic life changes and learned how to roll with gratitude.

I am still in a state of shock over the events of the past year. WTFJHT should not exist in 2017. We should be beyond this and yet here we are. I’m a Historian and I have been reading a plethora of Cold War and Space Race material recently. I’ve long enjoyed listening to speeches by President Kennedy which I freely admit totally ruined my ability to listen to Donald Trump without feeling waves of nausea and disgust. JFK was well-educated, well-read, well-traveled, a veteran of combat and an empathetic human being whereas Trump has none of those qualities. I have spent my half-century on this planet as a resident of The South. I have experienced the best our region has to offer and I have experienced some of the worst our region has to offer. I look forward to hearing from a diverse group of people from across the land.

4 Likes

Hello Matt and Community! It’s great to be a part of this group! I’ve been reading WTFJHT for about 3 months and find it enormously helpful to sort through the daily events. I’m a retired middle school teacher living in the midwest. I’ve always been interested in political issues but now I’m more of an activist than I’d ever imagined!
Thanks for leading the way, Matt!
cjah :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @cjah and @cornelia, love the username @spacehistorian lol​:raised_hands:t3: Welcome aboard :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes