WTF Community

Introduce Yourself!

Hi, folks. I’ve been reading WTFJHT since the first week the site went live and consider it essential reading along with Amy Siskind’s weekly list (now at https://theweeklylist.org).

As for the user name, it was randomly generated by a forum username generator site, but I happen to quite like it.

With so much crazy shit going on over the past year, it’s almost impossible to get a nice bite size picture of what’s really going on without sites like this, so I appreciate the efforts of @matt and others that keep this site going.

7 Likes

Hiya all,I’m Chris from Wales in the UK. I’m mid way through a PhD in forecasting at the moment. I too am very concerned about the Trump presidency, along that other bug bear, Brexit. Frankly, I’m surprised he was ever elected! Glad to be part of the community Matt, keep up the good work… :grinning:

4 Likes

As in weather forecasting? :slight_smile:

Definitely good not to do real names on forums IMO.

And as for everything else, hi from someone else who is still inspired by Sanders.

1 Like

The news doesn’t really feel like it’s rated PG right now.

1 Like

Hi! I’m a stay at home mom from San Diego. My name is Melissa and I am currently trying to get into the Neuroscience program at UCSD. I’m a nerd and I’m amazed at the current political climate. Just Crazy!

2 Likes

Or political forecasting :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi. I’m Rancecool…been in NYC since the 60’s and value the work that’s done on this site.
I’m here mostly to listen and to be reminded that there are a lot of people willing to say what has to be said. Thanks to you all.

3 Likes

Hi-
Another Vermonter here… I stumbled across this site a couple of months ago when typing in a google search “what the f*#& did trump do today?” Like many of the folks on this forum, I am concerned about how far DJT will go before we are able to get him out of the White House. I continue to be stunned by his (and his team’s) corruptness, dishonesty, and ignorance. Truly stunned. Thanks to Matt for developing this place for us so that we may know that we are not alone…

7 Likes

Hi all, and especially a hello to Matt. I’ve been getting the WTF newsletter in my inbox each day :slight_smile: I’m a disabled man. I struggle with chronic depression (and Trump gives me PTSD every day in office), in addition to the autism I was born with. I’m a high function autistic and I knew from the start Trump and his cronies made no sense at all. I function based on logic and reasoning (appeals to emotion and the heart don’t work with me, we all know that’s a common GOP tactic). Nothing any of these idiots say makes any logical sense.

I’m working on a book about the demise of our democracy under Trump (at least until he and his cronies ban all books except their bowlderized Bibles). It’ll take a long time to finish research and write it. But I’m working hard :slight_smile:

Jared

3 Likes

Hey, welcome everybody! Quick question: What are you hoping to get out of this forum/community center and how can we facilitate that?

Do you want to discuss the news, share the news, ignore the news, or… what? Many folks have suggested sharing calls to actions.

1 Like

Any of those options are good :slight_smile: Maybe a sub-forum for each of these?

There’s a few umbrella categories already: General / Actions / Off Topic / Meta

That should cover it for the most part, right? Anything else?

Hi! My name is VooDooDad, aka Groucho #Resists on our “president’s” favorite form of social media. I’m a big old nerd. I specialize in writing snarky comments which almost no one but me will see the humor in. I’ve been a twitter junkie since November 9, 2016 and I don’t see any need to change that. Nice to meet you all!

5 Likes

Hey, RachelMKennedy here; just trying to figure out how to navigate here; I’ve been depending on WTFJHT for the past couple of months, since I happened onto it by accident. Kentucky small town by way of Alaska; still adjusting. Looking forward to getting to know the community.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Sheila from Malibu Canyon, CA. I must be the least tech savvy here because to date I can’t figure out how to introduce myself as I’ve never seem a space to write in. I decided not to dilly dally any longer so I’m hitting reply to Tribritre and hope it works. I was very excited to find this site on Twitter. I’m a retired psychologist with four grown children and three grandchildren. Since Nov. 8th I spend all my time immersed reading progressive sites, watching everything on MSNBC, CNN and FreeSpeech. I don’t know if I’ll have anything worthy to contribute but thank you Matt for starting up this amazing site.

3 Likes

Hi Matt and WTFJHT Community. I’m a newly retired educator. I taught 31 years in Ohio and was active in my Union on the local, state and national level. Spent years fighting for social justice for my students and families, as well as working to educate ignorant politicians who thought schools were factories, and children were widgets and somehow they were flawed through the faults of teachers.
I hope to make connections in this community by joining thoughtful conversations, as well as finding truth, support and hope during this nightmare.

4 Likes

@Alittlequirky midwest represen’! My family is full of educators, IN and OH. And you’re doing just fine @keepingitreal welcome🍸

1 Like

Thank you kindly MissJava, I so appreciate your welcome for me. Am confused about how to negotiate this wonderful site. You have made it easy for me to jump in with using reply… I’m originally from Ohio, Dayton. A Little Quirky, how wonderful to be a family full of educators. Three of my kids have followed in my footsteps, two with doctorates in psychology and in practice here in SoCAL, one with an MA and oldest son has his own computer co and has moved to Co.

Hey Jeff! That’s super cool you run your own agency. How long have you been doing that? If you have any suggestions for improving the forum… don’t be shy!