WTF Community

Introduce Yourself!

Hi I’m Sara, I live in seattle. I own a small creative business specializing in event design and interiors. I also retore and appraise high-end vintage mid century modern furniture in my spare time. I’m news nerd, furniture nerd, softball enthusiast, photographer and an avid reader. I’m a registered foster parent and child advocate. I feel I can’t comment on social media about how I feel about the news and my advocacy due to my peticular business. Thank you so much for setting up this forum.

7 Likes

:fist: Seattle represent!

1 Like

In the house!

1 Like

You Seattleites should just go back to fighting wars over pigs.

2 Likes

I have serious concerns about the healthcare too. I also have fibromyalgia and systemic lupus. Plus, I come from a country with socialized medicine - a well working system I may add. Which means I feel doubly as outraged that healthcare isn’t a basic human right. Sadly, it usually takes someone getting chronically sick before they realize just how badly it’s needed. I’ve always said every American is one broken bone away from bankruptcy. With this administration we can change that to bankruptcy and almost certain death.

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, my Grandson was born 6 weeks early, thankfully under the current system he is insured and has a chance. But I can’t help but think about what will come for him and others like him.

My favorite comment from a Trump supporter locally when someone asked him what he’ll do when he no longer has insurance for his wife with MS…
“Well, if that’s the price I have to pay not to have Hillary in office, then I’ll gladly give up her insurance”

Let’s see how well that work for them =(

7 Likes

Hello everyone. My name is Josh Catone. I’m a recovering journalist (probably the most likely place I’ve worked that you may have heard of is Mashable, where I was the Editorial Director back during the halcyon (in comparison) days of the Obama presidency). Now I work as a marketing consultant helping startups with content strategy. I’m also an avid gardener, baseball fan, and – these days – frequent protester.

This is basically how every day unfolds now as I check WTFJHT:

Still, thank you, Matt, for providing such an indispensable service for our world turned upside down.

14 Likes

lol that’s hilarious! Welcome to the club. Would love to talk to you sometime about content strategy for startups (something I did in a past life).

2 Likes

@matt Always game to talk shop / trade GIFs. :wink:

1 Like

I’m Jenna.

I live in PA. I’m also a former libertarian who’s come to give a shit about my fellow man. I love my job by day, and am a single mom by night. In other words…I’m exhausted 36 hours a day. :grinning:

I have more to say, but am legit crazy at work right now, so have to come back…I just wanted to create my account, activate, pop in, and say hi!

P.S. - I love the daily digest, @matt … and mentally fix the errors, so should probably be an editor … ijs. :wink:

9 Likes

I started my little agency about 3 years ago. Been a web designer/developer for close to 15 years though.

Hmm…improvements on the forum? Not sure. What platform is it on? Just curious.

3 Likes

Always good to see a fellow Pennsylvanian!

2 Likes

I’m Jackie! I live in NW Oregon, am retired, and spend way too much time on the internet! :wink: I am passionate about causes I believe in, and want the world to be a much better place than what is happening now for my children and grandchildren! I believe that if we all stand together, we can make a difference!

5 Likes

@jeffwhitfield It’s Discourse: https://www.discourse.org/ … and open source platform that’s pretty popular among startups. Founded by Jeff Atwood (who also founder the StackOverflow). It’s a not quite as robust as, say, vBulletin – or as familiar, at least for people who have been around the web awhile. But I think it’s lighter weight and easier to use (maybe more secure, too). It might also be a bit more malleable, though I’m not really sure on that.

2 Likes

Hi all, MJ here. Sadly not cool enuf to be a coder, but I do love me some coffee lol. I’m like buddy the elf but for swearing, so of course WTFJHT caught my eye pretty early and I haven’t looked back since. I’m a mountain gal now (Wyoming) but have lived in a bunch of different places (Chicago, Bklyn, Paris, Seattle, Indiana)…I am an education junky, (it’s our greatest and yet too-underused tool), not just the book kind but the “be a stranger in a strange land” to understand different cultures and how to be a better human kind. Pretty laid back, love to laugh and don’t do much in the way of confrontation but I do have a near-deathgrip on my moral compass so if you see me mad it’s a good bet it’s a big f*ing deal lol. Nice to meet all of you, everyone has such interesting stories already and we’re just getting started :blush: And thank you @matt for starting this, super excited to be here.

6 Likes

Awesome @nomad! My sis just recently got a toy hauler and is using it as a house, and even tho I don’t (yet) have the constitution for that myself I love hearing about those kinds of adventures. Where are you now? Or rather in the interest of privacy what are a few of your favorite spots?

@gail Scotland is my most favorite place I’ve ever visited. Won’t ever let go of my dream to own a B&B somewhere in the north by the sea. :wink: What brought you to the Bay Area?

1 Like

Hi MissJava, I moved here in 1996 because my family bought the hotel I currently own. We had some family in the Bay Area and so when the hotel became available for purchase it allowed us to move over the pond. Back then you had to invest in a business in order to legally immigrate. We’ve had the business almost 22 years no. But my father retired two years ago and moved to Kentucky so now it’s all just me. I do enjoy it tho. I love meeting people from all over. I’ve met the smartest and dumbest people all in the same afternoon. It keeps things interesting. I do miss scotland and won’t say I’ll never return. Maybe once I’m closer to retirement age - I’ll find my way back. But that’s a long ways away. For now I’m digging sausalito and the Bay Area. For what it’s worth, hospitality isn’t a business I’d do again. Whenever I bow out from this business, my hotelier days are done. But more power to you if you have a dream to do it. It’s not labor intensive work, but mentally it can be grueling. In my case, the good outweighs the bad – most days :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’m Jeff. I’m was born and live in Rockford, the armpit of Illinois. I’m a kitchen designer, coffee roaster, beer brewer, biker, husband, father of six (two currently serving in the military), drummer, and am passionate about music. I’m a hardcore liberal who loathes would-be theocrats. I love to craft questions…difficult questions. Sometimes there is no answer from the person to whom I pose the question and that is answer enough for me.

8 Likes

Ok @gail I amend my dream to include a few really excellent minions running around doing my bidding while I read in my overstuffed chair in the library by the fireplace with a very full glass of scotch. HA!!:joy_cat: Love the way you describe it all, mtg smartest and dumbest ppl all in one day (oh man do I know that kinda day lmao) and the good outweighing the bad. Glad you’re here, but when you go back to Scotland I’m stowing away in your luggage lol.

Edit: BTW how did your dad decide on KY? I used to live in Nashville and drove i65 straight thru the bluegrass many times. Never managed to hit the bourbon trail ffs!

1 Like