WTF Community

Introduce Yourself!

Currently offgrid in Northwest Colorado. Will be visiting friends in Steamboat soon. So hard to pick a favorite place! Every place is special in its own way. We’ve been doing this for just over a year. Barely scratched the surface with many years of exploring ahead of us…

1 Like

Cool. Can you give us examples of your tough questions?

I agree! Scotland is the best! I have been there many times, but not lately. Awesome people and country and good food! I hiked the West Highland and Great Glen Ways a few years ago by myself. I loved it.

1 Like

Ha! Was just about to ask @jeff the same thing @nomad, great minds. Glad you’re enjoying your off-roading camper, it sounds completely badass, you gotta keep us posted as often as you can stand to!

1 Like

We were recently in Red Lodge, MT and had a chance to explore some the WY mountains as well. We are definitely adding Tetons and Wind River Range to our future trips! The West is so beautiful.

That is a great story. I wish more people could be as thoughtful and introspective as you obviously are.

1 Like

@torimichel an internationally ranked pinball machine player? That’s it, applications no longer being accepted for most amazing accomplishment we have our winner. I thought I was special having a pinball machine in our basement growing up lmao. Please tell this story!!
ps love Columbus, trying to schedule a visit back to see friends soon, I miss it!
pps I love that you said “unschooling,” that made my day :laughing:

Hey, I’m Tom from Frankfurt, Germany. I’m an editor for press reviews. I therefore read a lot of different newspapers, online media etc. WTFJHT helps me get a quick overview of US politics. I hope this forum will provide some further insights from people living in the US who are more directly affected by the current administration.

9 Likes

The company my brother works for opened a new plant/factory in Kentucky and he did a lot of the work for it and him and his wife were starting a family so they wanted to live there and get away from the crazy shoebox apartments here that was costing them triple what they’d pay in a mortgage. Plus a back yard and all that. So when my dad retired he was gonna go back to Glasgow but once he and my mum visited KY a couple of times - they decided they wanted to be near their grandkids. Plus they liked the area and my mum picked a house close to my brother and that was it. They’re enjoying it. It’s a lot different from the Bay Area but it’s a slower life which my dad deserves after 20 years running the hotel.
I haven’t been home since November 2015. It’s hard to get away any length of time when your business is 24/7 365 - I’m thankful whenever I get a whole two day weekend off! Haha

What part of PA are you in?

@gail An excellent retirement indeed! Happy for him. It’s a long way to travel for sure, hope you get to see your family soon, I know how tough it can be to find time off to live life let alone have fun lol.

Welcome @Tom from Germany! I think you’ll get some good solid America-in-the-thick-of-it as well as a broader hopefully even more global view, this shit is affecting the whole world in a way most of us have never seen and I bet I’m not the only one here who wants to know what you have to say, too. Looking forward to talking more with you.

1 Like

Hi everyone! My name is Bri, and while I am originally from Southern California, I have spent the last seven years living in Washington, D.C. proper. I work at one of the local universities doing career advising for students studying international relations, and while it’s been frustrating to watch everything going down lately in my adopted city, it’s been even more heartbreaking to work with students who feel like their entire futures are going up in flames (our student body is very diverse and I work with a lot of international students - there’s a lot of fear and uncertainty on campus for some of these populations right now).

As an official DC resident, I have been so frustrated with my lack of Congressional representatives to call and lobby, that I started creating a website full of resources specifically for DC residents who want to do some resisitance work, but I unfortunately haven’t had the time or energy to continue developing it. Needless to say, I find it difficult to identify only one or two issues that I really care about (it’s all important! it all matters!), but as an international relations person, I am incredibly worried about foreign policy and global security right now (as it relates to both environmental and world order/diplomacy concerns).

I’m so glad this forum exists now. I have been feeling fairly paralyzed as of late with all of the news coming from down the street, but through it all, Matt, your newsletter has kept me on track and sane. Thank you for doing this and for everyone else who is here!

8 Likes

Hi all. And huge thanks to @matt for doing all this work!

I’m Kim, and I’m a dual American-Canadian citizen. I’m originally from New York, and moved to Vancouver, BC, fifteen years ago. I became a citizen here last summer around the time DJT officially got the nomination, and this last year has been… a rich one when it comes to navigating my national identity. My whole family and loads of other people I love are in the US, as is most of my audience (I’m a writer – http://www.kimwerker.com). Since January, I’ve been writing more and more about basic human decency, and also about universal healthcare, since I’ve experienced both the American system (before Obamacare) and the Canadian system (specifically BC’s, as each province administers its own). For fun and to keep sane I make all kinds of artsy crafty things, I read a lot, and I’m really looking forward to going on a camping road trip next week that’ll be mostly out of cell range.

5 Likes

Hi I’m Alice from Lexington MA. Like everyone else here I keep thinking this is a nightmare that will go away. But it won’t. This forum is a great place to keep us all sane!

2 Likes

Hey, Community!

My name is Chris, I’m from Pennsylvania, and I am an activist (re: unemployed) working on gerrymandering and anti-corruption reform with local groups. Even though activist is a dirty word I guess I will take ownership of it anyway. I also hold an MS in Environmental Studies.

If you are really interested in gerrymandering reform and happen to live in PA, hit me up! If you want to donate millions of dollars to our organization I’d be okay with that too. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have anything else clever to add to this post, so I guess I will hit reply in 3…2…

6 Likes

Hi all, I’m a recent American expat, current data scientist, and soon to be PhD student. WTFJHT has kept me sane since about day 4, Especially with the somewhat disjointed news cycle due to time zones and all that. I’ve loved watching the evolution over the past 190ish days (although I could do without the reasons for the evolution). I read every day’s digest in my morning and consider it first priority–unless my push notifs have been Trumpbombed overnight (which… you know… happens a lot).

Happy to find a community of people who value @matt’s newsletters as much as I do. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi. I’m Lisa. I live in Australia and I’m here because Trump scares the hell out of me…whatever happens in the US affects us all. By day I’m a teacher. I also have my own show on community radio…soul, jazz, funk, reggae, gospel (what the “young people” call Americana)…you can listen online here if you like http://2arm.net.au/listen/ I’m also a member of a couple of Hep C activist sites, encouraging people to access affordable, licensed generic medications to cure the virus, which currently kills over 1 million people a year. Many of our members are Americans who are being refused treatment because they are not “sick enough” and the more I learn about the American health care system, the more horrified I become. If you are a baby boomer, please, please, please get tested for Hep C. If you have the virus, look up Greg Jeffries and read his blog or check out https://fixhepc.com/ Nice to meet you all.

6 Likes

Hi there! I’m a recent-ish (2012) immigrant (green card) from Europe. Like many people I know, both immigrants and Americans, I’m scared of what the fuck is happening. I really appreciate the daily tweets and summaries. Because I live here, and I give a fuck, I try to be politically active (I can’t vote, but I can still fax senators, etc.). Hopefully the system (or what’s left of it) works and we can all go back to not fearing what every new day brings. :frowning:

9 Likes

Greetings, everyone. I’m Craig and I live deep in enemy territory…Mobile, Alabama. I love my city and the surrounding Gulf Coast area but it saddens me to see so much hate and blind allegiance to Trump from many of the conservatives in this area.

I never took more than a passing interest in politics until Trump announced his candidacy. He’s such a toxic individual. I couldn’t remain ignorant any longer so I started paying closer attention to national politics and eventually local and state as well. I’m here to learn and maybe find a way to somehow contribute to a solution.

When I’m not cursing at the latest news headline or tweet I work as a business analyst for a software company. In my off time I’m a geek that enjoys tabletop role-playing games, geocaching, and Dallas Cowboys football. I’m an Army veteran (96-00) and proud dad to a conservative leaning grown daughter. She’s not a Trump supporter but we still don’t discuss politics. :zipper_mouth_face:

7 Likes