WTF Community

Introduce Yourself!

@bririggo I just recently left a job in the career ed dept of a small liberal arts (Midwest) college helping kids get internships (some in DC!) and while I didn’t take official career discernment appointments I did ineveitably have lots of discussions with my kids about careers and my dept did a good job with programming (guest speakers, etc.). The travel ban hit us pretty hard too, 27% int’l student body, I know you must be going thru a lot of shit and emotional meetings. Good for you for starting to gather resources, it’s a lot of work so don’t beat yourself up for not doing more, you’re a human being not a robot! Now you’ve got us to help you out :blush:

1 Like

@kim what kinds of things do you create? I recently moved away from a group of friends who kindly included not-crafty me in their crafternoons, the latest funday was painting tile coasters, I made a huge mess and had a blast lol.

@chris what a task, gerrymandering! Bit off a big one, that is awesome. How do you go about working on that? I’ve always been vaguely aware that it existed and that I hated it, but am now trying to follow court cases and activists posting about it more closely.

What do you study @imisslacroix? Oh man I love lacroix, what was your favorite flavor? lol
Thank you for your service @One90proof. I avoid discussing politics with most of my family too lol
And welcome @madrobby, @Ameade, @lisap🥂

Messes are the best! I’m a firm believer that we shouldn’t feel we have to make great stuff to justify making things. :slight_smile: I make all kinds of things (and lots of messes, and some epic fails). I crochet and knit, dabble in spinning yarn and weaving, do some sewing, make soap, carve stamps… I hope you find a welcoming group in your new place!

2 Likes

Hey, I’m Liz – full time attorney (in-house at a publishing company that is also a membership organization), full time mom to two teen girls, living in the Boston suburbs. Also, I do some CrossFit stuff.

4 Likes

@MissJava, I’m studying computer science (specifically AI… jumping on that bandwagon, lol). Hands down, cerise limon is my most favorite type of La Croix. I can drink a whole package of them in a day. lol.

2 Likes

WOW! I took a couple days off with the kids to visit friends and family and look at how this place has grown! I look forward to the conversations to come!!

Welcome!

K

1 Like

I love crafting and I always want to make something new. There isn’t enough time in the world for all the things I want to do and make.

I completely agree with you both!
I have a list a mile long of things I want to do. In fact I just bought an amazing cabinet that I want to refinish this fall. We’ll see how far I get on that. I’m a bit on the slow side. =)

1 Like

We have a whole big boring strategy that I won’t get into at the moment.

Basically, there are two bills in the PA General Assembly right now, one in the Senate and one in the House. We are pressuring our representatives to co-sponsor (and eventually vote on) those bills. We’re doing okay, 96 members of the House have done it, and 15 of the Senate.

We are also going a step further and getting local governments to also pass resolutions in support of these bills. So towns, townships, boroughs, cities, and county governments.

1 Like

I don’t live in PA currently, but my parents do and might be able to sign petitions or something, thought they usually aren’t willing to drive super far to do these things.

Hello! I’m Mishel and in my day job I focus on building a diversity workforce and promoting a inclusive community. I am excited to participate in this forum as we ensure we remain aware of our current news and how this will affect our laws, policies, and American culture.

1 Like

Hello, all! I’m a social media manager in Oregon, moved here from my home state of Michigan several years ago and I love it here.

I used to be a restaurant manager, but went back to college for journalism when I moved to Oregon. I stumbled into a full time social media marketing job about halfway through my degree, though, so I haven’t had a chance to finish that up.

I’m a voracious reader and I basically live on the Internet, a geek in general and a huge nerd for a few things. I’m a shade-tree web developer and a writer (nothing published professionally, though).

I’m a dirty liberal who grew up surrounded by rural conservatives, and I’ve been a politics fangirl since about midway through Bill Clinton’s run.

I found WTFJHT right around Day 30ish and was immediately fascinated, partly because I’d been doing a similar thing on my blog for friends and family and partly because I half think Matt’s inventing a new (and badly needed) kind of journalism here.

Also I’ll apologize in advance because I’ve never used Discourse before, so I’m sure I’m gonna screw up a bunch.

Pleased to meet you all! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone. Matt, you have a good looking site. I like your style, the name is catchy. May your garden continue to grow. Chris is my name. I am from a very red part of a barely blue state. I wish you all well.

2 Likes

I’m actually at a pinball convention in Pittsburgh RIGHT NOW! I am internationally ranked, but I’m not good lol. This is my rank page International Flipper Pinball Association I am friends with one of the top players in the world though. It’s pretty cool. We only have one pin in the house right now, a Black Knight 2000, late 80s Williams. My son loves it. He and my husband are also both ranked :grin: We’re massive geeks. And yep, I’m an unschooler with a free range kid. He loves it. I love it. It works for us!

1 Like

@Chris Environmental Studies is one thing I’ve been toying with the idea of going back to school to study. My bachelor’s is in Philosophy though, so I don’t know how great I’d be at it lol.

Not to be a downer, but I haven’t had any opportunities since getting either of my degrees. Pursue it if it’s a passion, but not if you’re looking for an immediate career change.

Oh, I’m sure I’ll find something that deserves questioning. :wink:

Career change lol… I don’t have one to change from :wink: More of just a thing I wish I knew more about so I knew how to be a better human and fight for the planet. Maybe someday when my son goes to college (in about a decade), do something with it.