WTF Community

Introduce Yourself!

These people aren’t forced to switch to that TV channel. It speaks to them, and answers to who they are. Let’s stop excusing their stupidity or immorality. They’ve chosen this path. Let’s answer their claims with reason, when they are still receptive (pointing out the fallacies in their reasoning, demanding evidence for their absurd claims, etc.), and simply standing firm in our own reason, when they are not. They are morally filthy in their racism, anti semitism, anti Muslim, and xenophobia for non whites. Let’s humiliate their pretentions to civilization.

I would argue that there is such a thing as non-partisan dialogue. You don’t have to vehemently support a particular political party when discussing issues and policy. I do agree that it is somewhat impossible to have non-biased discussions or to be truly “neutral” when discussing various issues and policies.

It’s one thing to be even-handed and level-headed, but to suggest that anyone can truly disassociate and remove their own experiences from a discussion would be to suggest that they are able to remove their humanity from the equation, which wouldn’t make for a very good or meaningful conversation anyway.

As Howard Zinn once wrote, “You can’t be neutral on a moving train.

2 Likes

Also, @Joanie, hello from Bloomfield, NJ!

Interesting how so much is judged these days on a “partisan” scale and that in this case if it’s “left” it’s bad and not deserving involvement which implies if it’s the opposite partisan leaning it’s good and deserving of involvement.

1 Like

I’m starting to come to the conclusion that the Russian propaganda effort has had greater impact via the thrust to divide the US along partisan lines than I thought.

A question to the moderators, does WTFJHT have a mechanism to verify whether forum users/commenters are who they imply they are?

(Note: not a mod) I’d say that there probably isn’t anything like that in place. In fact I’d be extremely surprised if there was as it’s a near impossible task. Without requiring people to provide some sort of proof of identification upon registering, there really is no way to do so. And what would you use as proof? Not to mention that we have people from Canada and Europe who comment on here sometimes. There’s just no feasible way for Matt and the others to be able to check or verify with the resources they have and the kind of platform that they want to run.

However, the very nature of this community protects it a lot. Since everything that is posted is fact checked and reviewed, looked at critically. Also because this is specifically geared towards detailed discussions with trolling/inflammatory stuff not allowed. Essentially the mods fact check and review the content of what is posted rather than attempting to regulate who can post.

Again, not a mod, but have some knowledge of website design/coding. Hope that helped with your question.

2 Likes

@SEPTGUY

I’ll let @matt take the security side of this question. I will say that we moderators do work hard to ensure this community is spam and cruelty-free. It’s pretty easy to spot a Troll and we have the ability to remove them with a single click. Remember, users are always in control of the content that they share on this forum, so share wisely and always flag suspicious comments. The Moderators are here to help and protect this community. :v:

5 Likes

@vine409 We moderators read everything that users post on here, and I mean everything. We will call out any user that is posting content that is suspect or inflammatory. Keeping the discussion civil and highly informative is our only priority. :vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

Thank you, moderators! Your hard work ensures a continuously high level of discourse in this community – really unique among the various forums I visit where spam, vitriol, and outright craziness often hijack the conversation. Your dedication is much appreciated! :clap:

5 Likes

I know its a problem Facebook and Twitter have been trying to deal with.
I havent seen a big problem was curious. A comment i saw recently made me wonder if it was a bot or troll.

I think the attack on social media has been huge and will increase with this election.

I’m really wondering if Russia has T under their wing and will work this election hard. Heard stories out of Florida recently about election irregularities from a poll monitor that had not heard before that gives me concern.

Block and move on is all one can do on social media. My personal FB block list is basically nothing but trolls and bots.

If you see something, tap the flag and the mods will review.

Maybe, it’s hard to say.

If it’s from a reputable source, post it.

2 Likes

Is Ingress anything like egress? Or do I digress?

Hi, @Matt. I’ve been around awhile, but rather than bother to remember my user name or password or check what email account I was using, I just opened another account. I don’t think I did much logging in with the other one, anyway.

I’ve followed you consistently since I discovered WTF. I awoke (English major, can’t stand the other way people are saying they came to their senses) the first time I heard it’s voice on the trail. That sound, you know the sound of someone keying a car or the squeak of chalk on a chalkboard, shook me out of any chance of getting a decent sleep.

Thank you for helping me keep tabs on all of this poo. OMG! When we were kids we had a big dog and a pooper scooper. There’s a lot of poop to clean up folks. Get yourselves a scooper if you want to dig yourselves out of this sh*t storm.

3 Likes

@SEPTGUY to answer your question about vetting of users: no, i don’t do that because dipshits get deleted. the mods here try to course correct where necessary and are generous with warnings when things stray into strange territory, but occasionally we remove users after repeated warnings.

facebook/twitter/etc have the issues they have bc they attempt to operate as a marketplace for free expression while additionally keeping their hands off the wheel. here, we have ground rules that form a social contract. you break the contract, you get booted.

6 Likes

Good day. My name is Ross. I’m an IT professional, business development, and training. I have been thoroughly buried (as Huxley predicted) in the minutia of all the things ie. the privacy debate, the FCC ruling on title II, net neutrality, the new-abnorm and on and on and on that, it’s harder to process the macro view.

Found you on the Alexa skill list and I am thoroughly enjoying the broadcast. Hi Matt, Hi Joe!

The problems we face we face together. I’m a Republican from NY. I live on an Island, climate adjustment must be made. Puerto Rico is extremely vulnerable, as is NYC. Deficit deficit deficit. Russia, China and a bunch of others are bullying the shit outta everyone on the digital schoolyard. Tariffs!(yaar) The FBI is magnificent. I’m afraid I’ll be killed by this new EPA.

4 Likes

It was a one-on-one conversation with a poll monitor and yes i consider them credible and no i can’t post a limk to a private conversation.

1 Like

I used to think of myself is not interested in politics but then Trump came along and I had to admit and come clean I was a closet Democrat all along. I enjoy listening to other people’s perspectives an intelligent discussion which Benefits all of us. I’m from Southern Oregon but I promise, I am not a kale eater. I found this site totally by random fate as I was punching on my Google find app, I just said what the fuck happened today? In this site came up. I’ve been following it as a non-member for sometime but not as a member so I never got the opportunity to listen to the community opinions. It amazes me, as everyday I read this and just when I thought I’d seen and heard stupid, the current Administration continues to threaten my credulity for bullshit parameters. LOL. I believe this is just my personal opinion, the complaining about the current Administration does nothing constructive, however, this blog gives me ammunition to stay on top of the ever-changing face of this thing we call the Trump Administration. I believe that constructive actions can only be actualized by people who are informed about the situation they wish to change. I hope I can learn something and maybe contribute something to this community. as long as there are people Like Us, there is hope for change. thank you for your time I know this was a little bit long-winded, but hi and hello, this is the way we do it in Oregon. LOL we think everybody is family and friends and we will talk your arm off. At this time though, I think it’s best that I do more listening than speaking until I have something intelligent to contribute

4 Likes

Pleased to meet you Matt + all and thank you for many months of gripping and often hilarious coverage of the Orange Kaiser (Am I allowed to say that?)
Just reading Rick Wilson atm but looking forward to Bob Woodward’s final nail. Much more interesting than Nixon, as I recall.
Do well.
John Peverell etc.

3 Likes

Been here before. Read daily for great information.

2 Likes

Been here since July, almost daily observer. Absolutely lost on adding a picture. Oh, well.

Spent the last day and a half glued to the TV for the Kavanaugh hearings. Great compromise by Coons and Flake today to get an FBI investigation. Daily Kos had as couple of comments today on the Urban Dictionary definitions of boof/ boofed, Devils Triangle and FFFFFF, which Judge K lied to the Judiciary committee about under oath. He is going down, and hopefully in an orange jumpsuit. Felony perjury, in my non-legal opinion.

3 Likes